How to build a Childcare Centre in Sydney.
How to build a quality centre
Experts estimate that the demand for childcare and childcare workers in Australia, and especially in Sydney, is expected to grow by 7 per cent by the year 2026.
As more people look for professionals to care for their children while they’re at work, the demand for well-built childcare centres will surely increase as well.
If you’re looking to capitalise on this demand and build a safe, high-quality Sydney childcare centre, keep reading. Everything you need to know, from planning the building to choosing childcare builders, is explained below.
Why Build Your Own Childcare Centre?
Why would you want to build your own childcare centre for your business? Why not just rent or buy an already-built structure?
In some cases, it makes more sense financially to just build a centre yourself from the ground up.
This approach allows you full creative control over the design and layout of the building. If you have a very specific vision in mind for your centre, building it from scratch allows you to bring that vision to life, without having to spend a fortune on renovations.
Building your own centre also gives you peace of mind. You can feel confident that the building is made of quality materials, is structurally sound, and doesn’t have the issues that older buildings might, such as mould, foundation issues, etc.
Childcare Construction: Factors to Consider
When you’re getting ready to design and build a childcare centre, there are some specific factors you need to consider from a construction perspective. Here are some of the most important things to keep in mind:
How much can you afford to spend on a childcare centre? How are you going to pay for it (cash, loans, investments, etc.)? Figure this out early on so you don’t fall in love with a design or location that’s way out of your budget.
Speaking of location, that’s the next thing to consider. Where in Sydney do you want to build your childcare centre?
Start looking around early so you can find the ideal location for your target clients and their children.
Cost of Materials
What kind of materials do you want to use when building your centre? Which materials are the most cost-effective?
Do some research so you can make smart decisions that don’t break the bank.
How soon do you plan to open your childcare centre? Do you have enough time to design and build a centre from the ground up?
What Is the Design Process for a Childcare Centre?
A lot of people don’t know what steps builders have to go through when designing a childcare centre. If you’re new to this side of the business, here’s a breakdown of the steps your team will need to follow to design your facility:
- Feasibility Study: This step is a breakdown of all the factors that will make your childcare centre project feasible or infeasible. This includes your budget, zoning at the building site, and other site considerations (traffic, noise issues, etc.)
- Programming: During this step, the construction and design team will work together to understand all of your needs and goals for the project; they’ll also let you know of any potential issues that could present challenges later
- Schematic Design: Schematic design takes the programming data and turns it into a well-defined and feasible building design
- Design Development: From here, the design is refined and finalised; cost estimates are also updated
- Construction Documentation: Here, all documents related to the project are drawn up; this includes construction bids, floor plans, landscaping plans, energy reports, approval forms, and permit forms
- Bidding and Negotiation: During this step, contractors, builders and clients work together to negotiate the cost of the centre before building can begin
- Construction Administration: This phase involves regular site visits to oversee the building process, as well as clarifying drawings, answering questions, processing documents, and conducting on-site meetings
- Post-Occupancy Training: This step involves teaching the building owner and business employees about the facility so they can get the most out of it while carrying out their responsibilities as childcare providers
How to Choose Your Childcare Construction Team
To get a great childcare centre, you need to work with the right childcare construction team. The following tips will help you narrow down your options and find the right professionals for the job:
Ask for Referrals
Do you know anyone who has built a childcare centre or another similar facility in the past? If so, reach out to them to see if they can refer you to any construction companies.
Look at Their List of Services
When you have a shortlist of candidates, check out their websites to see what kind of building and design services they offer? Does it seem like they’ll be able to meet your needs?
Check Their Credentials
What qualifications does this team have to help you build your childcare centre? Are they affiliated with any professional organizations? Do they follow specific quality assurance guidelines?
Look at Their Portfolio
Check the company’s portfolio to get a sense of the projects they’ve worked on in the past? Does their style align with yours? Do they have experience building childcare centres, schools, or other types of educational facilities?
Finally, read reviews.
What do past clients have to say about this company? Are they generally well-favoured? Would people recommend them or work with them again in the future?
Start Building Your Childcare Centre Today
The task of building a childcare centre can certainly be daunting. If you follow the guidelines above, you’ll have a much easier time choosing the right location, designing the centre, and getting it built as quickly as possible.
Are you ready to begin this journey? If so, contact us today at Childcare Developments to get started.
We can’t wait to help you get your Sydney childcare business up and running in no time.